In a historical period in which the Ferrari Gran Turismo have a close relationship with the Reds involved in the world of Motorsport, its founder wanted (and obtained) a softer road car designed for the upper middle class. The sales success achieved will prove Enzo Ferrari right, so much so that the 330 GT 2+2 will even become the representative car of the Commentator.
Presented in January 1964 at the Brussels Motor Show, the Ferrari 330 GT 2+2 is made in two series, distinguished from each other by small differences.
The figure 330, as the history of the Prancing Horse teaches, takes up the value of the unit displacement. However, this number is not an absolute novelty at Ferrari: in fact, a very limited series of twenty-five examples of the previous Ferrari 250 GT/E had been named and sold as 330 America, noting both the novelties relating to the engine and the main target market.
Therefore, the abbreviation GT and the suffix 2+2 give an idea of the configuration of this car.
The engine, the same mounted on the latest Ferrari 250s, is a V12 with a single overhead camshaft, 3,967 cubic centimeters of displacement, derived from the short block of Gioacchino Colombo. The engine, internal code 209, has grown in size for two reasons: the first, the bore and stroke measurements which are now 77 and 71 millimeters long respectively, while the second reason for the elongation of the block itself consists in a different housing of the cooling system, now in the rear of the engine, improving its operating efficiency.
The power increases to 300 hp compared to the 240 hp of the 250 family, however the specific power values and the weight/power ratio are lower in the 330 GT 2+2. These data, apparently pejorative, make the new Gran Turismo more usable and drivable than the previous generation, without losing absolute performance.
The drive unit is powered by three 40 DCZ/6 double-barrel Weber carburettors, but alternatively the 40 DFI also from the Bolognese Weber can also be used, while the ignition coil and distributors are located at the rear of the Type 209 engine. everything is combined with a manual gearbox with four synchronized gears, with optional electronically controlled overdrive; accessory very appreciated by customers, since most of the models built have this additional component.
From the point of view of chassis and chassis architecture, the car does not bring innovation compared to contemporary Ferraris, but maintains the classic configuration: tubular frame with oval section combined with smaller frames with support function, independent front suspension, bridge rigid with leaf springs and telescopic shock absorbers at the rear. There are also four disc brakes.
The novelty consists in the lengthening of the wheelbase, fifty millimeters more than the 250 family. For this reason it is reductive to define the 333 GT 2+2 a simple 2+2, since the car is comfortable for four adults even in long journeys.
Being a car designed primarily for the North American market, for its line Pininfarina relied on an American stylist, but an adopted Turin-born: Tom Tjaarda.
The Ferrari 330 GT 2+2, in the first series, is easily recognizable for aesthetic details with a strong personality that make the Red flagship unique even among the other Maranello cars.
Characteristic is the front, simple and elegant, with the iconic projectors made up of four circular elements, of which the largest external ones measure seven inches in diameter, while the internal ones are five inches. For this reason, the 330 GT 2+2 in the first series wins the nickname of Chinese eye.
This type of headlight is not a first vision for Ferrari, in fact it had already been seen in the 400 Superamerica. In any case, in the front view, the lines are designed to enhance the width of the car, with a large ogival grille with large rectangular mesh and bumpers without rostrums.
The side, compared to the previous 250, transmits greater softness and less tension of the line, without losing dynamism. Borrani rims and eleven slits to let the engine breathe, as well as a slim profile under the door, are the elements that embellish a clean, well-balanced and proportionate side.
In the rear area there are rectangular shaped headlights and horizontal development, characterized by a curvature in the terminal part that envelop and follow the fitting of the side. Compared to the 250, the final result is more sinuous and elegant, soft but without losing stage presence.
The interiors are made using fine materials, both for the leather upholstery and for the construction of the passenger compartment with a large dashboard made of wood. The three-spoke metal steering wheel and the wooden crown in full Ferrari style with the Prancing Horse inserted in the center of the steering wheel, in a yellow circular element, complete the elegance of the passenger compartment.
The eyelid, now covered with anti-reflective material, is characterized by circular elements of various sizes and with various functions: speedometer on the left and tachometer on the right of large diameter are always clearly visible, while in the center, smaller, the temperature indicators are housed of water and oil. In the central part of the console, circular elements accommodate secondary instruments, clocks and the air vents.
In this configuration 625 examples are made, with odd chassis numbers as usual for road Ferraris with the series starting from chassis #4963 up to #7533, to which must be added the prototype example #4085, owned and used by Enzo Ferrari in person, ivory and black interior.
In 1965 the second series made its debut, and in the evolutionary path the 330 GT 2+2 conforms to the rest of the Ferrari range.
Chassis type 571/65 and engine type 209/66 (from chassis #08729) make the changes under the skin of this Gran Turismo easily recognizable. The most interesting is precisely the attachment points between the frame and the engine, which are reduced from four to two in order to reduce the vibrations transmitted to the guide.
The gearbox passes definitively to the five-speed configuration, while the pedal set is now suspended, replacing the one hinged to the floor. The self-locking differential is also introduced, while both power steering and air conditioning are available to improve comfort.
Externally, the emblematic Chinese Eyes are lost and a solution with single parabolic headlights similar to that found on the 275 GTS is adopted, while both the bolts and rubber elements are inserted on the bumpers to ensure greater protection. To these are added the rectangular secondary optical groups, replacing the circular ones of the first series. The Borrani spoked wheels become optional, replaced by ten-hole alloy wheels with central gallettone.
The side slits now consist of three wider openings to give the engine greater breathing space, thus abandoning the eleven thin openings that were admired in the first series immediately after the front wheel arch.
There are also some small changes in the interior, such as the new ignition lock and a new center console on the transmission tunnel. What does not change, however, is the construction quality, both in the choice and use of precious materials, and in the care of the truly excellent level of construction.
In particular, the perfect alignment of the sheets is appreciated, which allows the doors to be perfectly closed, an indication of high construction quality, especially when compared with the construction criteria of the 1960s.
The second series, built in 474 specimens, are branded from number #7537 to #10193. As often happens at Maranello, some anomalies must be reported, if they can be defined as such, namely the hybrid models: the last 125 cars of the first series already have some peculiarities of the updated version; specifically the five-speed gearbox.
High performance, build quality, quality materials and remarkable passenger compartment comfort combine the ideal blend to best represent the Italian Gran Turismo during the 1960s. The requests and advice given by the founder Enzo to his design team are fundamental, allowing the technicians to create not a simple Gran Turismo to drive, but to drive.
Winning choices and intuitions are confirmed by the sales success achieved with 1,099 cars built, a truly remarkable figure if we consider the limited production period and the business reality, in terms of size and construction philosophy, of the Ferrari of the 1960s.
Coupé body, 2+2 seats
Front engine position
Size and Weights
Length 4840 mm
Width 1715 mm
Height 1360 mm
Front track 1397 mm
Rear track 1389 mm
Wheelbase 2650 mm
Unladen mass 1380 Kg
90 liter tank
Displacement 3967 cm³
Type 209, V12 60°, front, longitudinal
Bore and stroke 77x71 mm
Compression ratio 8.8:1
Unit displacement 330 cm³
Single shaft distribution, two valves per cylinder
Powered by three Weber 40 DCZ/six carburettors
Power 221 kW/300 hp at 6,600 rpm
Specific power 76 hp/liters (56 Kw/liter)
Weight / power 4.6 hp/Kg
Mono ignition, two distributors
Wet sump lubrication
Single plate clutch
Manual gearbox, four-speed + overdrive + RM (second series five-speed)
Car body in tubular steel with oval section
Independent front suspension, wishbones, coil springs, telescopic shock absorbers, stabilizer bar
Rear suspension rigid axle, double lateral struts, longitudinal leaf springs, coaxial coil springs with telescopic shock absorbers
Steering Worm and sector
Front disc brakes
Rear disc brakes
Speed 245 Km/h
Acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h in 6.5 seconds